Saturday, April 20, 2013

Compelled Pt. 2

My encounter with the couple seeking abortion happened about 9:45 am. The abortionist was not at the clinic yet. She would not arrive until 10:30. So I knew there was still a window of opportunity for the young woman to change her mind. All the intercessors outside the clinic began to pray for her. We often see women arrive for abortions. But we don't always have such a window into why they would make this choice. This one became much more personal. I prayed and prayed, begging the Lord to change her heart, knowing that she had hardened herself for this, asking for her heart to be softened. I knew it was not too late for her to change her mind.  I watched as the abortionist pulled into the clinic. I didn't see the young woman leave.

My heart was breaking as I thought of the different levels of injustice happening right before me. Obviously, there was the injustice to the baby, who was being punished for existing. There there was the young mother, who was going to have to live with pain and regret about her decision this day. There is a father, who will never know his child, complicit in his child's death. Was he grieving for this child he will never know? Was he just relieved for a "quick fix" that will let him get away with this without getting caught? There was a grandfather, who didn't even know his grandchild existed and who had seemingly done something that would make his daughter afraid to even tell him about this child. My thoughts went on, thinking about how this mother had chosen to kill her child rather than face her father. She took the coward's way out, choosing to protect herself rather than her baby. Although in the end, she hurt herself as well. I thought of the wife, husband and parent this baby may have become one day. A whole generation gone because no one wanted to take responsibility. So a baby was murdered.

My thoughts came unbidden that I could have, should have, said something more. I could have asked how far along she is. I could have identified with her as a fellow expectant mother. I wished I had been holding the fetal model set. Perhaps if she had seen what her baby looked like right then, she could not have gone through with it. My heart broke as I faced my own incompetence and failure. As illogical as it was, I felt that I had failed this child and this mother.

I know there is likely nothing I could have said to change her mind. She was raised in a culture that glorifies promiscuity and offers abortion as an easy way to get out of trouble, to get rid of an inconvenience. It's a lie that too many believe until it is too late. There is no going back.

Part 3 is coming later today.

No comments: