Saturday, April 20, 2013

Compelled Pt. 1

I had decided to let this blog go. I have found I'm not a great blogger. I think I would rather live life than write about it! I've always been that way. The experience is way more fun than reflecting on it. But there are times I am compelled to write. When that happens, I realize that this blog may not be dead after all. Perhaps someone will stumble upon a post here and it will help them. I hope this post will help someone.

This week, the kids and I were praying and handing out material outside the abortion clinic where we go about twice a month. One couple stopped to take some brochures. I stepped up to their car and began with my standard speech.

"This is an abortion clinic. If you know someone who is pregnant, here is a list of resources where women can go for help so that they don't have to get an abortion. Also, it lists a ministry called Rachael's Vineyard that offers post abortion healing."

As I was speaking, my eyes fell to the phone in her lap. I saw that her GPS had directed her to the clinic, that she was going in. I asked, "Are you pregnant?" "Yes," was her reply. "Are you here for an abortion?" She nodded. My heart sank. "You don't have to do this. You will regret it for the rest of your life. May I ask why you feel like you need to get an abortion?"

"My dad."

"Does he know you are pregnant?"

"No."

"What will he do if he finds out?"

"I just know my dad. It won't be good if he finds out."

"You don't want to do this. You will regret it for the rest of your life."

"I've already decided. I've thought a lot about it and I've already decided."

"You have a new life inside you. You both (indicating her and her boyfriend) are responsible for this life you have created. This is your baby. You don't have to do this. Facing your father's wrath is nothing compared to the regret you will experience for the rest of your life. Adoption is always an option."

"I've already made up my mind."

At this point, I felt there was nothing more I could say, so I asked if I could pray for her before she went into the clinic. She got very uncomfortable at that and pointed out that we were blocking the street. I offered to move out of the way and as I stepped toward the curb, she shook her head no at me and they pulled into the clinic. I called after her, "I will be praying for you to change your mind!" That was the last I saw of her.

Part 2 will follow this afternoon.

No comments: