Saturday, February 28, 2009

Moving Forward

We sold Matthew's old car today. It was pretty cool. I posted the ad on craigslist at 10am and the car was sold by noon. I guess that's what happens when you sell a car for $250! :) The great thing was that the family that bought it had their car stolen a couple of weeks ago. This family of six has been using the bus and walking. Can you imagine taking a grocery trip for six people and then trying to walk home with it all? Anyway, they were really excited about having a car again, even it the power windows, door locks and mirrors don't work, it leaks oil and power steering fluid over time, the engine smells funny and is not at all pretty. I hope it lasts them until they are able to buy a better car in the future. I was glad that it went to a family in need instead of someone who just wanted to part it out. We have been so blessed with the purchase of the Tank that it's nice to turn around and bless someone else. At least, I hope our old car is a blessing!

I also discovered that I had gotten a call from our social worker yesterday! His name is Darryl. We have met him at a couple of different classes and he seems like a really nice man. His story is interesting because he was adopted as a child in a closed adoption. Over the years he has searched for his birth family. He found his mom, but is having a hard time locating his dad. But since he is adopted, he has a unique perspective on fostering and adopting. He also is a huge advocate of open adoptions, because his path has been so difficult since the records are sealed. I'm hoping that we will be able to schedule our first meeting for next week.

Speaking of closed and open adoptions, we came into this with the metality of doing a closed adoption. But as we have learned more, we have discovered that an open adoption does not mean that the birth family will have full access to us. As far as I understand, we determine how much exposure, if any, that we want to have with the birth family. During the fostering phase, of course, there will be visitation, which will be decided on and coordinated by the social worker. And that will most likely happen in a more neutral location. But after adoption, we will decide how much contact to have with the birth family. It might be something like monthly visits. Or it could just be birthday and Christmas cards. Or it could be absolutely no contact if the situation warrants it. However, the open records will allow our children to know who their parents are and find them if they so desire as they get older. I'm not sure if closed adoptions even happen now a days because the benifits of open adoptions are so accepted.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Such a good post Christal. Its amazing how much a little car can do for you. Due to my current finacial situation i haven't been able to get new struts put on my Camry until today. Jeremy Hass came up and we did it today and it drives like a new car! Its amazing because now I have the freedom again and I dont feel as though I am imposing on my grandfather for using his truck. Ok, so maybe it's not as big of a deal as it is for this family but for me I am extremely excited.

I miss you guys. I think i read Matthew is having a lan party soon, i need to see if i can make it up to see you guys.

I just read some of your older posts about your new Van, amazing story! Unfortunate about Matthew's paycut, I will be praying for you guys against a Layoff!

Love you!
Matt

Unknown said...

Thanks, Matt. We would love to see you at the next LAN party. It's only in a few weeks. I saw your status on fb about your car. I'm glad you got it fixed. That was awesome of Jeremy to come and help you.

Thanks for praying for us. God is our provider, so we will trust in him. I'm also very, very grateful that Matthew is such an excellent employee. In fact, not to brag or anything, but I must brag. He just got specifically requested by a group at work to help in a new project, because they knew he was the man for the job. I'm proud of him.

Anonymous said...

We had a similar situation where we were able to give a car to a family in need when we broke down once in Oregon in '87. We couldn't spend the time and money there getting the car fixed for a week. A member of our church that we'd never met before drove Marshall around to making arrangements for a motel room, car repair shops and then used car dealers. His family had teenagers that really needed a car for work so he and sons could fix the car fairly cheaply. It made us feel so good to help a one car family out.

It is sure nice that you have a good "mentor" for your foster adoption process.

I'm happy to hear of Matthews successes. I'm proud, too!