Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I Love This!

I'll be the first to admit that I have not found becoming a parent easy. I'm a bit of a hard head. So God really has to work on me. I have often found myself wondering why I'm not enjoying the parenting process more. Rebellious attitudes and disobedience really tend to get to me. And I don't tend to be the most patient person in the world. Nor do I have the most perseverance. So, although I have been quite committed to parenting and parenting well, I have not always found pleasure in it. But this past weekend it seems like something shifted. It wasn't huge. In fact, Saturday was particularly difficult. I had two children who just wouldn't obey no matter what. And then one of them tried to shift the blame for what they did to another. And that really gets my goat when that happens! It's one thing to sin. But to sin and then pass the blame off onto someone else??? Grrr!!! But I remember a moment, sitting on the floor of our bonus room, trying to reason with this child who was determined to see it only their way. I looked at Matthew for help, desperate to get through to this one. And in the middle of all that, I thought, "I love this!" And I really meant it!

I can't tell you how many times I have gone to the Lord with something like, "What are you asking of me?!?! How on earth can I foster when I have such a hard time with my own kids?" I have woken up in the morning with a sense of dread about the responsibilities and issues that the new day holds. I have found parenting to be a burden to me in many ways, even as I have known that it's my calling and passion. But recently I went to the Lord and said, "Ok, you said that your yoke is easy and your burden is light. I know this doesn't mean life is easy. But you carry the burden for us. I know I'm carrying things I shouldn't. Please help me." I think God is answering that prayer. I think he is changing me and giving me what I need to do what he has called me to do. This is what he has promised to do in his word. And he is always faithful to keep his promises.

Psalm 127:1,2
Unless the LORD builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the LORD guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain.
[It is] vain for you to rise up early,
To sit up late,
To eat the bread of sorrows;
[For] so He gives His beloved sleep.

This is God's heart for us as parents. So often we take on so much of the burden for how our kids turn out, or even how they act now! But, really, raising a family is God's process. He does not want us to lose sleep and be troubled about our kids. He wants to build our houses and he wants to give us his peace. And even in our weaknesses and humanity, he will make sure that we are in just the right place spiritually, emotionally, physically, for whatever he has called us to.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Good reminder, and GREAT Scripture. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Michelle said...

I have been on a similar journey, and God used that scripture to help me too! I am learning to actually WANT to pour myself out for my family and trust Him to fill me, rather than resenting being drained all the time. He is GOOD and His love toward us endures FOREVER! I love you and admire you lots!

Anonymous said...

So nice to get your posts, Christal. Even though I live so far from you all, I'm not through your updates. Thanks for the personal messages that really do inspire us all.